Tuesday 14 October 2014

Update from the Oncology Appointment

Hi there, just a wee update from the last few days - feeling better every day since the second op, arm movement is improving but am still quite tired and on the pain relief :(

I saw the Oncologist on Wednesday and the good news is that he said by having had the mastectomy it means in theory my statistics are 65-70% chance that I'm cured for a long time. By also undertaking chemotherapy followed by taking tamoxifen for 10 years (a bit of a treatment list!) it increases the number to 85% - which is a great number! I also don't need to have radiotherapy which is a real bonus.

So now the boys are on school holidays we're hoping to maybe get a few days away to relax and spend some time together and then the chemotherapy is due to start on either 5th or 12th November, subject to feeling well enough. Reading through the information they've given me makes me think that this may be the hardest part of treatment based on all the potential side effects it can cause.

Meantime I'm taking it a day at a time and trying to get one or two things done each day which can be anything from a few emails to going out for lunch. Last Friday was mum's birthday so I was delighted to celebrate it with close friends from Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Stavanger (cancer perks you see!) at a gorgeous girlie lunch as evidenced below. Plus it was the first outing for my temporary prosthesis (had to remove half the padding so I didn't look completely lop sided!) which has now been christened 'Betty' by the girls)...
I feel very lucky to be surrounded by such amazing family and friends throughout the last few weeks - thank you to everyone who has sent me texts, cards, emails, food and flowers, you are lovely and I do appreciate all your positive thoughts... please keep 'em coming :)

Onwards and upwards - till next time,

love
Skerry
xx

PS One thing that would be really helpful for me is some advice - if you have managed to post a comment successfully to this blog (without having a gmail account) and found it easy - could you email me your instructions and I'll post them on as a few folk have given me feedback that they couldn't post a comment, that would be really helpful, thank you...

7 comments:

  1. You are looking great Skerry xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was great to see you, your Mum and 'Betty' last week, and encouraging to hear you being so upbeat. Keep it up :)
    Mogs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Skerry, Diana has just passed on your blog address and its great that your starting to feel a little better. I will text you and see when your free for a catch up and i can come round with my famous Lemon Drizzle cake :) Xxx Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful news - hope you totally enjoy the hols and you manage to get away for a few days. Anneliese is 7 tomorrow (oh boy.- she was away up to top of.vertigo yesterday herself - what happened to the baby) and off to aberfeldy fri - so hope to catch up after Halloween time - lots of love liesl��

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news Skez - we love % like that. Great pic, hope that was just one of many lazy boozy lunches. Wish I could be there to participate! See you in 8 weeks. Much Love. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you last week. Enjoyed lunch loads. You look amazing but then you always do! Sober for October is still on course but only half way there. Got Glasgow Oktoberfest this weekend which should be interesting. Will keep you posted.
    Give Betty a squeeze from me...

    Nina
    xx
    Ps Instructions marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great news, the chemo is going to be grim but the %'s make it worth it hopefully (easy for me to say). You look gorgeous as always and so lovely to have such a nice outing with your dearest friends. Enjoy your wee break if you manage to get away, you're always in my thoughts xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete