Sunday 23 November 2014

Wee update...

Just a wee update to say I'm doing well - this week has been good and a few things have happened in the last few days which I thought might give you a giggle so here goes...

Tuesday I had a fitting for a prosthesis, aka chicken fillet - yes I am now the proud owner of my very own silicone! Not quite the 36DD one had hoped for but then apparently the Dolly Parton style reconstruction is an option for next year once my body has calmed down from the chemo.

It all went very well, the lady that does the fitting at the hospital has a room that's setup like a department store fitting room, i.e. not the clinical environment that I was expecting. Susan came with me and we judged the various options proffered - think I ended up with the smallest size they had!

I wore it all day and felt almost normal (well, that's based on my usual scale of crazy!) - so much so that it led to an incident in the evening...

Went to my first yoga class in 8 years, forgot I was wearing said prosthesis and when I did a 'table top' or 'dancing dog' (can't remember which but suffice to say I had both legs and arms straight and my back was supposed to be straight!) my prosthesis made a public appearance (need a name for this one Morag...) peeking out from the top of my crop top/teeny bra thing! I decided it was best to remove it and hide it under my sweatshirt which was lying on the floor behind me. Once I had stopped shaking with laughter (silently as the class was in a 'relaxed and meditative state') and resumed downward dog, the instructor then 'helpfully' moved my sweatshirt off my mat which meant prosthesis made a second public appearance! She said oops, I said it was ok and this resulted in her being embarrassed and me having a second fit of the giggles (again in a room full of people being silent, which always makes you laugh more!)

Wednesday I saw the oncologist who was very pleased that I arrived in his office smiling - his view is that I'm doing really well for week 2 and he, the nurse and I had a good laugh about the yoga prosthesis incident :) He's going to prescribe me more drugs (more!!) to try and reduce the nausea and the heartburn for the next round but overall was really pleased with my progress after chemo 1 to date :)

I'm going to write more later today but meantime, check out this video of my very cool boy (edit done by his friend Sam - apparently the last trick is Elliot's best yet - turn up the volume LOUD!)
#affaproudmum :)

3 comments:

  1. I'll never look at a chicken fillet the same again! Funny. Very impressive Elliot. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling Skerry, loved having you and the boys and Mike down on Sunday and so impressed by Elliot's skateboarding Skills he is amazing, what a talent. I am so hoping this message gets to you as I have tried so many times to send messages to you but they have failed due to my useless computer skills. I love you heaps and love your chicken fillet and can truly say that you wear it with fabulous style! xx See you very soon my darling, love Donna Neil, Bronte Grace and Murray xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing Skerry! I can just imagine the incident and the hilarity. Its easy to see where Elliot gets his resilience and determination from. What a family xxx

    ReplyDelete